NYSSMA Government Relations & Advocacy Committees
Come to Albany!
Announcing the 45th Annual Joseph R. Sugar NYSSMA Day in Albany!
Monday, March 5, 2018, 9:00AM
Our Day in Albany is less than a week away!
Make your Legislative visit appointments and travel plans now!
Click here for the Day in Albany schedule: 2018DIASched
Click here to download and print your Day in Albany Info Packet:
(The Albany Information Packet contains the Schedule, Information for Legislators, NYSSMA Fact Sheet, Support Data for the Info. for Legislators letter, Albany Top 1o Tips and a map of the Capitol. If you have problems opening the packet, please write me at [email protected] and I will email it to you. Thanks, Alan)
Please join your fellow NYSSMA members at the 45th Annual Joseph R. Sugar NYSSMA Day in Albany.
There are so many issues swirling around, and so much at stake for the future of Music Education in New York as well as for our entire Nation. Please, make plans to come to Albany.
Visit your Assembly and Senate members with other members of your county.
Hear our incredible All-State Instrumental and Vocal Jazz ensembles as they perform at the Capitol to “kick off” Music in Our Schools Month. Celebrate the more than 2500 music students from all over our state who will perform during the entire month of March!
Enjoy our Concert and Reception from 5:00-7:00 pm in Capitol Conference Center Room 6 (by The Egg) to celebrate the completion of this most important political effort.
Let’s let Albany know just how much we accomplished this year! Tell them about Joe, and how his vision created a uniquely New York event that grew from a day to a week to a month now celebrated in every state of the union and Europe too! Above all, come help us represent the almost 2 million school music students of New York State and help advocate to preserve a high quality, comprehensive, sequential, multi-discipline Music education taught by a certified Music Teacher. Let’s help them create the robust music programs demanded by ESSA!
Don’t be caught up in political exhaustion. Now more than ever we need NYSSMA members in Albany advocating for our kids.
NYSSMA MUSIC EDUCATION ADVOCACY
Music Advocacy Links
- American Music Conference
- Americans for the Arts
- Presidents Committee On Arts and Humanities
- Arts Edge
- Support Music
- Music Friends
President Barack Obama Arts Video
- How To Interview a School Board Official or Elected Officer (PDF – 76 kB)
- Conditions That Support Music Education: How Does Your School District Rate? (PDF – 84 kB)
- What To Do When Music Program Cuts Are Threatened (PDF – 84 kB)
- What Do You Need to Know to Advocate For Music Education? (PDF – 8 kB)
- How Does Music Education Impact Student Learning (PDF – 53 kB)
- Advocacy Tidbits for Music Educators (PDF – 131 kB)
- NYSSMA APPR Framed (PDF – 702 kB)
- 2012 NYSSMA Advocacy Handbook (PDF – 326 kB)
- AlbanyInformationPack (PDF – 16 MB)
- AlbanyPacket2018 (PDF – 16 MB)
- CntyPresInvt (PDF – 1 MB)
- MUSIC IN OUR SCHOOLS MONTH – 2018 schedule (DOCX – 75 KB)
- 2018DIASched (PDF – 2 MB)
- tier-finance-info (PDF – 2 MB)
- 2017-talking-points (PDF – 7 MB)
- nafmetierinfo (PDF – 2 MB)
- 2017mbrspkt200 (PDF – 4 MB)
- essafacts (PDF – 1 MB)
- 2017 Albany Invite draft (DOC – 28 KB)
- 2017DIAscheddrft (DOC – 21 KB)
- How To Interview a School Board Official or Elected Officer (PDF – 76 KB)
- Conditions That Support Music Education: How Does Your School District Rate? (PDF – 84 KB)
- What To Do When Music Program Cuts Are Threatened (PDF – 84 KB)
- What Do You Need to Know to Advocate For Music Education? (PDF – 8 KB)
- How Does Music Education Impact Student Learning (PDF – 53 KB)
- Advocacy Tidbits for Music Educators (PDF – 131 KB)
- NYSSMA APPR Framed (PDF – 702 KB)
- 2012 NYSSMA Advocacy Handbook (PDF – 326 KB)