Holly L McCoy
NYSSMA COMEA Chair
Instrumental Music at Syracuse City School District
210 Park Street
Sherrill, NY 13461
The Council of Music Education Associations was formed in 1981. It is a coalition of music education and related organizations working cooperatively with the New York State School Music Association (NYSSMA).
Many of the COMEA membership groups are state units of national music education organizations and others are solely based in New York State. All are committed to the promotion and advancement of music education in New York State. Since COMEA was formed, many of the member organizations have combined their efforts in presenting workshops, sessions, clinics, and concerts at numerous State Conferences. The New York State Summer Music Conference is planned and implemented by the affiliate COMEA organizations under the aegis of NYSSMA.
The success of the New York State COMEA group has been praised nationally as a unique complement to other music education organizations and other states have begun to fashion such coalitions after the COMEA model.
- ACDA – American Choral Directors Association
- AMTA – American Music Therapy Association
- AOSA-NY American Orff-Schulwerk Assoc.
- ASTA – American String Teachers Association
- KONY – Kodaly Organization of New York
- MAR-AMTA/NYS MAR-AMTA – Mid-Atlantic Region of the American Music Therapy Association
- NACWPI – National Association of College Wind and Percussion Instructors
- NYACDA – American Choral Directors Association
- NYACMP – New York State Association of College Music Programs
- NYASTA – New York American String Teachers Association
- NY-GIML – Gordon Institute for Music Learning – New York Chapter
- NYSBDA – New York State Band Directors Association
- NYSCAME – New York State Council of Administrators of Music Education
- NY-SMTE – Society for Music Teacher Education
- NYSMTA – New York State Music Teachers Association
- OAKE – Organization of American Kodaly Education
- PAS – Percussive Arts Society