- WHIN Music Community Charter School
- New York, NY
- Posted On:
- March 11, 2019
WHIN Music Community Charter School is the first school of its kind! Built on the principles of El Sistema, WHIN is a place where children learn, grow, and make music together. At WHIN, we are building a nucleo, a community where staff, families, and students work together to make a powerful shift in public education that puts learners’ needs first.
To provide our diverse student population with rigorous academic instruction, intensive music education and a positive learning environment so that every student can thrive academically and personally.
• that all children deserve a high-quality education, with access to academic rigor, music creation, and a holistic approach to developing character.
• that a collaboration with families ensures the greatest success for our learners.
• that restorative justice, inquiry-based hands on learning, and authentic learning experiences provide the most effective environments for growth, success, and joy.
We are looking for teachers who are…
• looking to grow and prosper in a collaborative work environment
• excited about teaching in a school and neighborhood where diversity is central.
• highly qualified and certified in Special Education, English as a New Language, Music Education, and/or Early Childhood Education.
We support teachers by…
• coaching and professional growth to deepen instructional practices that is facilitated by our ELA and Math Directors of Curriculum and Instruction, Director of Music, and Director of Special Programs
• creating Professional Learning Communities (PLCs) to address challenges and drive inquiry where teachers act as thought partners for one another
In action, our mission looks like caring deeply about all aspects of our young learners’ potential. We make academics a priority while also ensuring students’ character and personal growth. With music at our core, students experience working together to create something bigger than their individual skills every single day, and this approach extends to our classrooms where project-based, hands on learning cultivates curious, creative, and hardworking learners.
WHIN is currently seeking high performing part-time strings teacher artists who are ready to help grow a unique school community where compassion, kindness, and curiosity drive each and every day.
Specifically, a Teaching Artist at WHIN is responsible for:
• Supporting the Director of Music and other Music Teachers in executing a school-wide El Sistema based orchestral and vocal music curriculum
• Collaborating with other Music Teachers to develop and implement high quality lesson plans along with both formal and informal student assessments
• Accompanying music classes and rehearsals on piano, guitar, cajon, etc
• Working with small groups of students for sectional rehearsals
• Assisting with all aspects of bi-monthly concerts and community performances
• Developing and maintaining strong and professional relationships with WHIN families
• Modeling high-quality musicianship and citizenship within the WHIN community
Qualifications for the Teaching Artist positions are:
• Minimum education level: BA/BM in music education or music performance (MA/MM preferred)
• Experience teaching elementary music in an urban school setting
• Advanced proficiency on an orchestral instrument (violin, viola, and/or cello), understanding of string pedagogy, and a pleasant singing voice
• The ability to accompany children on piano, guitar, and/or percussion
• Demonstrated success raising achievement levels of all students
• An unwavering belief that all students can achieve at a high level
• The ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic, and exciting environment
• The ability to commit regular hours to WHIN for a full academic year
• A sense of humor
Advanced proficiency or experience in one or more of the following areas is strongly preferred
• Bilingual (Spanish)
• Experience in El Sistema-based music instruction
• Active gigging musician
• Dalcroze, Suzuki, Orff Schulwerk, Kodály, Gordon’s Music Learning Theory, and/or Praxialism
• Cooperative Learning Structures and Inquiry Based Learning techniques
• Responsive Classroom, Love and Logic Student Management, and/or Restorative Justice
Compensation and Benefits: WHIN Music Community Charter School offers a competitive salary and benefits, fun and professional working environment, as well as ongoing development opportunities.
EEO Policy: WHIN Music Community Charter School is an equal rights and opportunity agency and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, religion, ancestry, marital status, or any other legally protected classification in its activities, educational programs, or employment practices as required by Title VI, IX, and Section 504.
To Apply: Email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
How to Apply
Email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org