- Success Academy Charter Schools
- East Harlem, NYC
- Posted On:
- August 10, 2021
Success Academy Harlem East is seeking a middle school band/music teacher for grades 5-8. We are a high-performing charter school located in the East Harlem neighborhood of New York City. The music program is an important part of our arts and athletics department (which also includes dance, theatre, art, physical education, debate, and chess), and we are seeking to hire immediately. All music classes are based on an elective or audition model. This position consists of running a daily concert band rehearsal, four daily electives classes, and a weekly club. The program currently includes both concert band and modern band. There is a dedicated music room with a collection of over 70 concert band instruments for student use, plus class sets of guitars, ukuleles, and keyboards. The hired candidate will be responsible for rebuilding the program safely in-person, after over a year of students learning remotely. They will also be responsible for preparing students for two concerts a year, NYSSMA Majors, NYSSMA Solo Festival, and citywide honor bands (as applicable within COVID guidelines).
- Bachelor’s Degree in music education or a related field
- Proficiency in concert band instruments and ability to conduct large ensemble rehearsals
- Must be organized, a strong classroom manager, and detail-oriented
- NYS Certification in Music K-12 is a plus, but not a requirement to teach in a charter school
- Proficiency in one or more modern band instruments (keyboard, ukulele, guitar) is a plus
How to Apply
Email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org (Sarah Collins, principal) and email@example.com (Jamie Scotto, music faculty). Specific questions about the music program may be directed to Ms. Scotto through August 27, 2021.